Friday, July 11, 2008

Uncommon Valor



I thank God for the invention of optical zoom. For without it, I couldn't have seen the precious little thingies we have above, especially the helicopters.

As I left you last Wednesday with two plane replicas from the Fil-Am Fest Exhibit, we're cruising now to an assault ship. But where is the ship? Here it is.

Iwo Jima ship. Click to enlarge.
Do you see here the items in the first picture? :D


USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7) is a Wasp-class amphibious assault ship.
The ship's motto, "Uncommon Valor," is based on Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz's words when he spoke eloquently of Sailors and Marines who fought at Iwo Jima: "Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

Iwo Jima and the Marines of the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) deployed March 4, 2003 in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. It was also in 2003 that the USS Iwo Jima was deployed to the coast of Liberia as part of JTF Liberia.


I don't know why Iwo Jima sounds familiar to me. Perhaps from history class, my waterloo. :D

Nevertheless, it's motto should stir something in us.

Why is it that the essential virtues that we should have, like valor, are becoming uncommon nowadays? :(

That's something to ponder on this weekend, ei? Happy weekend, guys. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow... I didn't see it before; I mean its surprise thinking first photo is the real size.

Sponsors

Your Ad Here